Thursday 1 May 2008

Desperate Housewives meets Hedda Gabler

I wrote this for my next creative writing assignment (monologue or creative nonfiction), but I'm not going to develop it or submit it for serveral reasons; the assignment is 1,500 words, I'm not happy with the idea, not sure where I'm going with it, and I've had another idea. Plus, I kind of like it as it is; it's a little abrupt, and perhaps states the obvious, but it's dark and bitter and that's the way I like it. The idea was to subver the notion of a somewhat typical discontented housewife (eg Hedda Gabler) into a discontented husband. I think it's my first piece of writing that's actually slightly humorous, even if it is sarcastic and resentful.


***


Darling, I’m home!
No, no, don’t get up,
I’ll put away my coat and hat.
Do I smell dinner?
No, I’m imagining things again.
Well, I’m home now darling,
you can start the cooking.
But before you do,
I want to talk to you.


I’ve noticed you seem unhappy,
darling, unsatisfied with your lot,
so to speak.
Been reading Hedda Gabler, have you?
I suppose you see yourself as Hedda,
do you, darling,
poor, tortured housewife that you are?


How do you imagine I feel, then,
darling? Not much like that Tesman,
poor, oblivious man that he was.
Jolly, though, I’ll grant him that.
No, darling, I feel nothing like him.
Not much like that manipulative Hedda,
either. Did everyone a favour, she did,
taking her life like that.
Oh, I’m sorry, darling.
Did I spoil the ending for you?
And here you were, hoping
for some fairytale.
Hate to break it to you, darling,
but that’s how it is.


That’s how I feel at the end of the day,
darling, when I come home
to this cold, cold house,
with all its fires blazing,
but no warmth anywhere.
I am often exhausted, darling,
but there is no comfort,
not even in our countless cushions,
daybeds, chaise lounges and chairs.
Happiness doesn’t live here, darling,
oh no. But Dissatisfaction does.


x
Just a girl

4 comments:

Q said...

Ooh, I likes it~!

xox, raynex

(bvklskk zawidwkz)

Dancing Feet said...

I think that it is good.
But I have 3 issues mainly of personal opinionl, I am thinking.
1. Did you ever, while reading Hedda Gabler, think that there would be a happy ending?
2. I found that the joviallity of Tesman was the most frustrating and pitiful part of his character. It frustrated me that he was jolly which was signifying how he was so ignorant of the way Hedda felt toward him, ignorant of the pointlessness of his work and ignorant of his distinct lack of real scholarly potential.
3. Hedda was by far my favourite character in the play. Most intense, most intelligent, clearly the ochestrater of everything, the obvious protaginist yet not the heroine, who wouldn't want to be around a manipulating bitch, truly, why do you think gossip girl is such a popular show (I know about the novels but haven't read them) because everyone wishes that they could be like Blair, and they live vicariously as Blair through the show. Wow that was a long sentence, can't be bothered punctuating it properly though.

Anyway it was still good, but it is my favourite play/readable thing, so how could I not have an opinion.

Don't you just wish you could have seen Cate Blanchett as Hedda? I can just imagine how awesome it would have been. Anyway long comment lol.

Just a girl said...

Thanks, you guys. =)

DF:
1. Fair point. But regardless, the idea was that he ruins any element of surprise the end might have had (happy or not) or any hopes she might have had for a "happy ending" of sorts...(in any case, I wasn't happy with the ending of this, it's kind of abrupt and states what I was trying to show, not say...)
2. Granted, Tesman was ignorant, but I always felt a little sorry for him because of that; he never really understood why Hedda was so unhappy. Calling him "jolly" was kind of sarcastic, because I remember that's what he used to say all the time, so it was making fun of him a bit.
3. It's funny that you bring up Gossip Girl, because I love the show and the books and, perhaps most of all, Blair, she's my favourite character (never really liked Serena much.) I admired Hedda for her intellect, certainly, but I don't think I ever really liked her because she was so spiteful. At least in GG they give as good as they get. But I don't think that she "did everyone a favour...taking her life like that." This [monologue] is a persona, a bitter man I've created, who doesn't necessarily reflect my views.

Indeed, Cate Blancett as Hedda would have been something to behold!

Thanks for the comment!

x
Just a girl

A said...

I really liked that poem! Very original and funny.

Ally :)