Monday 5 May 2008

My Ears are in Your Hands

I might have mentioned that I'm fairly indecisive. At the moment, I'm tossing up whether or not I should get my ears pierced.

Totally not a big deal, I know, but we indecisive souls take no decision lightly. They are troubling, every one, a drastic, life-changing choice.

Waaaay back in October last year, I said this:

My ears aren't pierced and I don't think they're likely to be, either. It's not something I'm completely against - while I know that the market for pierced earrings is much larger, and generally cuter, than that for clip on earrings, it's something I've never felt an urge to do.

Well, people, clearly things have changed. I'm feeling the urge, so to speak. I'm not particularly sure why though, which is worrying me slightly. I just want pierced ears, I think they would be nice, and think about all the fabulous earrings I could wear!

But what's weighing me down is a semi-guilty feeling. Having not had my ears pierced like most of my cousins, my grandmother and mother seem to take great delight in buying me clip earrings and giving me theirs, so getting my ears pierced feels a little like going to the "dark side"...

So, like the rational-minded and nerdy person that I am, I'm drawing up a benefits list:

Pros:
-wider range of earrings to wear!
-pretty & fun!

Cons:
-annoying to wear eg sport (have to take them out, lose backs, etc)
-potentially tacky?
-infections? (low risk)
-earrings can get caught on hair/clothes (etc), pull/tug ear lobe?

Minor problems? Worth it?

What do you think? Adivce, opinions, recommendations and past experience all welcome!

x
Just a girl

9 comments:

Sharanya said...

I think its ok if you DO get em pierced. Here in India, girls dot have much of a say..their ears are pierced when they're a year old (YES! Outrageous, innit?)
So, get em pierced. And then you have the option of wearing earrings. They generally dont get caught or anything, even if they ARE extraordinarily long, so dont worry abt THAT.
Good luck!

-M said...

Ahaha, this post made me laugh.

I say take a chance, step into the light! (or dark, whichever metephor you prefer)

I got mine done when i was three, and i think that you're cons are very minor.

you can take them out whenever you want, and yes you can make anything tacky but i trust in ur fashion sense!

But really, whatever you think is right, you can let them close over if you dont like them :)

-M x

Anonymous said...

I still say get them pierced :P

- How often do you play sport? You can always take your earrings off/stick on a pair of studs before you leave your room so there's less chance of losing them. Aaand wouldn't clipons have the same problem with having to take them off for sport etc?
- Tacky... nah. Depends on your personal taste really and I know you have good taste :)
- Infections are possible but if you take proper care of your ears especially after they've just been done then you'll be fine. I was so paranoid after I got mine pierced haha.
- My sister was worried about this one most before she got hers done. But it's really not bad, they don't get caught too much and when they do it's not painful or anything, just a bit of a tug. So yeah.

Sooo worth it! :D

Dancing Feet said...

I figure you won't need to soon because I am pretty sure that clip-ons are going to be hot within the next year or so. And regardless I reckon they are cooler.

Gabriela said...

OMG you should totally get your ears pierced, I can't think of a reason for not doing it, I know you've said some, but no, those are not reasons. Earrings are SO much fun, I love earrings, and matching necklaces. Come on, don't even think about it, just do it. =)

Just a girl said...

I think I'm leaning towards gettings pierced ears...

Gaby: I find your comment somewhat amusing, because last October you told me that "people not wearing earings look more natural, clean, and classy." Then again, my views have changed since then, so I can't talk! I do wear clip earrings, but usually only when I go out, because they're quite nice.

Thanks all for the advice! As I said, I'm definately giving it some consideration.

x
Just a girl

-M said...

OMG! YAY! i get so excited when someone reads it, ♥ it!! (nerdy, i know!!)

To do the little hearts, just type & hearts ; * except without the spaces (just had to do that so you could see) =]

we learn something every day :D

Well, about ur democracy essay, may luck be with you! I really should be doing...hmmm let me see, 3 analytical essays an italian assingment and my maths examination asignment...but i got sidestracked backing a cake (inspired by non-dieting day)
and im about you go watch Austtralias next top model! :)

x
Always, M

Just a girl said...

♥! ♥! ♥!

Sharanya said...

sorry, I meant you have the option of NOT wearing them, even if you do get them pierced :)